In California the Insurance Non-Discrimination Act of 2006 guarantees all people the right to access coverage for medically necessary care regardless of their gender identity or gender expression. The directive also provides that patients who are denied coverage can appeal the decision for review by the California Department of Managed Health Care.
- CA Bans Insurance Discrimination Against Transgender Patients (Transgender Law Center)
- Gender Nondiscrimination Requirments (California Department of Managed Health Care)
- File a complaint (California Department of Managed Healthcare)
Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) extended civil rights protections banning sex discrimination to health programs and activities, establishing that the prohibition on sex discrimination includes discrimination based on gender identity.
- What Transgender Californians Need To Know About Health Care Reform (Transgender Law Center)
- Know Your Rights, Healthcare (National Center for Transgender Equality)
- FAQ About Health Provider Discrimination (Lambda Legal)
- Transgender Health Care, Applying for Marketplace coverage (HealthCare.gov)
- Section 1557 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- How to File a Civil Rights Complaint (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- Know your rights, Medicare (National Center for Transgender Equality)
- Transgender Insurance Assistance (Trans Family Support Services)